Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Name Game (or, "There Oughtta Be a Law...") ~~ Reprinted from the "David'Z RantZ" Blog, 3/12/2009


(Here's a reprint from several years back, which I'm posting again because I've been too busy lately writing "Comical Wednesday" articles to do much of anything else!

Please keep in mind that this post was originally written in 2009, and I haven't edited anything, so there may be a topical reference or two that might not be too clear. If I had edited it, I could have spent hours just adding new names!)

*  *  *  *  *

Politicians.

Don't particularly like 'em. Don't particularly trust 'em.

Not in this country. Not in any country.

I mean, what the hell, a great percentage of them start out as lawyers, right? And what does that tell you?

However, having said that, I must add that while I ordinarily resent the intervention of the government (and by "the" government, I mean the government in this country and the government in everybody else's countries) in a great many instances, there is one law that needs to be passed as soon as possible, in virtually every country on the planet:

Celebrities Should No Longer Be Allowed to Name Their Own Children.

(And by "celebrities" I pretty much mean actors/actresses and musicians, and other so-called creative types.)

No, really. Look at the freakin' evidence. Just when we thought the worst "crime" Ashlee Simpson would ever be guilty of would be lyp-synching on Saturday Night Live or being an Owen Wilson lookalike, she names her baby "Bronx Mowgli Wentz."

Chris Rock says that a dad's number one duty is to keep his daughter "off the [stripper] pole." ("I mean they don’t grade fathers, but if your daughter is a stripper you f***ed up.”) No. Your primary job as a father -- and as a mother as well -- is to avoid purposely doing anything which will make your child's life rougher than it's gonna be anyway!

It pretty much started in the psychedelic sixties, and wasn't confined so much to famous people. I'm sure that, due to a bunch of over-eager nurses who were taking notes as hippie mothers-to-be were being wheeled into the delivery room, there are more than a few birth certificates proclaiming the arrival of "Ohwowiamsostonedman Johnson," or something similar.

And there are more than enough people out there who want their children to have unique names, although quite often, they achieve that uniqueness by taking a relatively normal name and changing a letter or two.

School Administrator: We'll be more than happy to enroll your daughter, Mrs. Smith. [staring at paperwork on desk] Umm... Three "Z's" and a "Q?" How do you pronounce that?

Mrs. Smith: "Ann."

But I digress.

The following is a list of names I cribbed from somewhere on the 'net. The original list was longer than what follows. I only used the names which 1) I think are kinda stupid or 2) names I have a comment or two about, after the list. Here goes:

Apple: Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow
Audio Science: Shannyn Sossamon
Aurelius Cy: Elle Macpherson and Arpad Busson
Blue Angel: U2's The Edge and Aislinn O'Sullivan
Bluebell Madonna: Geri Halliwell
Fifi Trixibell: Bob Geldof and Paula Yates (also parents to Peaches and Pixie)
Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily: Paula Yates and Michael Hutchence
Hopper: Sean Penn and Robin Wright
Jazz Domino: Joe Strummer
Jermajesty: Jermaine Jackson and Alejandra Genevieve Oaziaza (previously married to Jermaine's brother Randy)
Kal-El Coppola: Nicholas Cage (Kal-El is Superman’s original birth name)
Memphis Eve: Bono
Moon Unit: Frank Zappa, also father to Dweezil and Diva Muffin
Moxie CrimeFighter: Penn Jillette (also father to Zolten)
Pilot Inspektor: Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf
Sage Moonblood: Sylvester Stallone and Sasha Czack (also parents to Seargeoh)
Satchel: Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee

And my snide little notes?

"Apple" is usually the one people think of first when this subject comes up. However, looking at some of the others on the list... Apple doesn't sound so bad.

"Blue Angel" and "Memphis Eve" are the children of musicians who gave themselves weird names, too -- or did you think U2's guitarist is holding onto a birth certificate that actually says "The Edge?" -- so what the hell did you expect? Besides, in their own ways, I think both names are kinda pretty.

I have nothing against "unique" names. What I object to are the ones that are the equivalent of pinning a "Kick Me!" sign on the kids' backs as you send them off to school.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. "Jermajesty?" What the hell were they smoking? Cute play on words, but as an actual name? How about "Jerdadscareerisoverkid?"

"Moon Unit." Hello? Frank Zappa's kid? Again, what the hell did you expect? The man lived in his own universe, fer cryin' out loud. (And that's a compliment!) Slap "Zappa" onto the end of any outlandish name you want, and I, for one, will buy it. (" 'Anally-Probed-By-Aliens Zappa?' That works. Cool.")

"Satchel." Spike Lee named his daughter after the baseball pitcher Leroy "Satchel" Paige. Woody Allen named one of his kids "Satchel" as well... but his child was a boy. Maybe it's an unusual name, but when it's done as a tribute to someone who already had the name himself (even if it was a nickname), can you really fault it?

I skipped one in the alphabetical run-down in order to save the "best" for last: "Moxie CrimeFighter," Penn Jillette's daughter.

I really hope Penn Jillette and his "baby mama" -- I don't know if she's his wife, girlfriend, or what -- aren't the type of parents who use a child's full name when they admonish him or her in public.

One of the reasons I cherish my own mother is that she never did that to me. She stuck to the first name. If she'd screamed "David! Michael! Lynch!" every time I acted up when we were out somewhere, I know I'd hold a grudge, and probably a permanent spot on some therapist's couch.

And I'm one of the ones who likes his middle name.

Besides, what would you think if you heard some pony-tailed, beefy silo of a man screaming "Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette!" at the top of his lungs?

"Hello, 911? There's some lunatic in Walmart yelling about soft drinks, superheroes, and razor blades! I think you'd better send the police and/or an ambulance!"

Why do I feel so strongly that in twenty years or so, we're going to be hearing about a frightening number of oddly-named adults being arrested for physically abusing their parents?

Thanks for your time.

*  *  *  *  *

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!! And this part is BRAND NEW!


This past Friday, April 13th, was the ninetieth birthday of none other than author Herman Raucher, novelist and screenwriter, most notably the author of one of my all-time favorite novels (as well as a major influence on my own writing style), Summer of  '42.

Happy Birthday, Herman Raucher!

And again, thanks for your time.

11 comments:

  1. Many more additions since you compiled the list! Personally I found Zuckerberg's (of FB) children's names rather odd - Maxima is reminiscent of maths problems as far as I am concerned, why would anyone want to call a child that?

    But it's not only celebrities I'm afraid, celebrity children would probably get by living in the rarefied atmosphere of wealth. I know someone who named a child 'the ultimate dream.' No kidding. The grandfather concerned (and a very concerned g'pa!) had to go to court to change it back to something less weird! Of all the horrendous disadvantages to start a child off with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an article back in September about grandparents who hate their grandchildren's names. And some of the hated names were quite normal, like George, Sally, and Charlotte. Here's the link if you care to read it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/refuse-say-grandsons-name-loud-1-5-grandparents-hate-called/?

      Delete
  2. Yep, nailed it indeed. Giving these kids such stupid names is the equivalent of a kick me sign. I've heard plenty more dumb ones since this list. Some of them sound like something a three year old would call a pet cat or dog. Apple sure is pretty tame in comparison to some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Some of them sound like something a three year old would call a pet cat or dog." Oh, I really laughed at that one!

      Delete
  3. That was quite interesting and I believe one should use care when selecting a name. A name is defining in so many ways. The sad truth is that Celebrities come up with these names thinking they are unique. Well, unique they are and a curse in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Silver. I had no idea so much abuse was going on in the celebrity's baby naming arena. Those names are atrocious. Aurelius Cy? That's flat-out profane. Yikes. And this was before Kanye and Kim had their East, West, North series going.

    PS Very fun mix of info here. Thanks for the entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then we have George Foreman, the former boxer, and spokesman for the George Foreman Grill. He named his first son George. Nothing wrong with that name, of course, but Foreman named his next four sons George as well!

      Delete
  5. Ha ha - some of those names are unbelievable! And it's still going on today. One of the funniest things I heard a while ago was couples naming their daughters Khaleesi from Game of Thrones - not even understanding that Khaleesi is the character's title - not her name!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People just don't pay attention! I remember back in the 1970s, when a lot of people referred to David Carradine's character Kwai Chang Caine, on the TV show Kung Fu, as if the character's actual name was "Kung Fu."

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...