Saturday, January 20, 2018

Bellies and Strips


(Intriguing title, innit?)

It's amazing what things we take for granted. I just found out recently, when researching "fried clams," that the so-called "whole belly [fried] clams" (pictured above) that I, born, raised, and still living in the northeast part of the USA (a/k/a New England) have known about for all my life are not readily available outside of New England!

And why was I researching fried clams, you may be wondering? Well, in New England, fried clams come in basically two forms. Besides the whole belly clams which I've already mentioned, they also serve what they call "fried clam strips" (pictured below).


I always thought they started selling these "strips," which are basically fried clams without the so-called bellies, because they were cheaper than the whole belly variety. I don't recall ever seeing fried clam strips before fried clam prices started going through the proverbial roof during the 1970s.

And I've always wondered, "If clam strips are fried clams with the bellies removed, what do they do with all the leftover bellies?!?"

Well, that's why I was researching fried clams online. And here's what I learned:

"Whole belly clams" are usually soft-shell clams (pictured below, in and out of the shell). They're often called "steamers," because steaming them is a popular method to prepare them.



"Clam strips," on the other hand, are usually made from Atlantic surf clams (again, pictured below, in and out of the shell), also known as sea clams, among several other names.



The sea clams, y'see, are much easier to cut into the aforementioned strips.

And I was wrong -- but don't tell anyone! -- in assuming that the clam strip form was created as an alternative to whole belly clams, in answer to inflation. Evidently, clam strips were originally designed to be sold (primarily) outside of New England, because the whole belly variety is much harder to come by if you aren't in "my" region of the country.

And now that I've told you more about fried clams than you ever wanted or needed to know...

Thanks for your time.

19 comments:

  1. Clams couldn't make you clam up. I think all I've seen people eat to do with clams here is clam chowder. Then again, I really don't eat much, so that could be why I never see anything else. I guess we can't be right all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW nice you are posting about food, lol I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll talk about anything that crosses my devious ;little mind.

      Delete
  3. I worked at a restaurant as a teenager that had a fried clam night. No one ate fried clams at home. But they were tasty and I ate my share then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of my second fiancee. She hated seafood (except canned tuna fish) so if I wanted to eat seafood I had to take her out for dinner.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do like fried clams with tarter sauce. They also put them on rolls here and call them "clam rolls". They usually are paired with french fries and cole slaw. I know they aren't the best for you, but they are tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps bellies and strip makes my mind wander...catchy title.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I eat clam rolls, too, but I prefer them all by themselves. No roll, no fries, no tartar sauce. Just as many clams as I can afford.

      Delete
    3. And I thought the title would make people wonder what the hell I had written about this time...

      Delete
    4. I don't eat the clam rolls I just like the clams, but I may get some slaw.

      Delete
    5. Have you ever been to Aunt Carries? They are known for their clam cakes, but I wasn't impressed.

      Delete
    6. Aunt Carrie's? No, never heard of it. Where are they located?

      Delete
    7. Thanks! I'll do a little research on the place.

      Delete
  5. Interesting info. It's odd little tidbits like that that hold my interest. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...