Friday, December 8, 2017

The Latest "Thrust Home" Award

Award drawn and "donated" by Skip Simpson,
based on a poster he found on the internet.

As stated in my title, here's the latest award I'm... well... awarding.

But first, here's the obligatory reminder as to what "The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME Award!" is all about:

Bloggers like to give each other awards. One of the drawbacks to these awards is that they're usually given with a set of conditions. Quite often, one of these conditions is that the awardee must first jump through a few select hoops, and then "pass on" the award to a pre-ordained number of other bloggers, which has the unfortunate effect of turning the award itself into more of an internet chain letter than a true honor.

In response to this, I created my own blasted award.

One of my all-time favorite stories is Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac. Cyrano often used the expression "Thrust home!" when fatally piercing an opponent during a sword fight. I've appropriated that phrase for... "The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME Award! -- Given to the Author of a Single Outstanding Blog Post."

And my rules for the award -- and the rules for its recipients -- are:
  • This award will be given by me, and no one else, and generally to only one recipient at a time.
  • I'll only give the award to those whose posts have truly "thrust home" with me, so even my best friends on the 'net might never get one.
  • The award will usually go to a post of what I deem to be of general import and interest, but that may be fudged once in a while to reflect my own biases. (My award, my stupid rules. Deal with it.)
  • There will be no set frequency for the giving of the award.
  • Theoretically, a recipient of "The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME Award!" may win once, twice... or forty-seven times! This is an award for individual blog posts, not for blogs!
  • Recipients would be asked to mention their receipt of said award on their own sites, along with a corresponding link to my own. And a little blurb on your sidebar -- feel free to copy and paste the graphic, of course! -- would be greatly appreciated.
  • Winners are not allowed to give this award to others.
  • Other than that, awardees are not asked to do anything else. You've already done it!
The latest recipient is (Clicking on the blog's bold-faced title will bring you to its latest post, while, as you've probably surmised, clicking on the italicized title of the "winning" post will bring you to that post itself.):


Since the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke (my thoughts on that here), dozens of women (and men) have accused various celebrities, politicians, and other powerful individuals of varying degrees of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior, everything from sexual innuendos and off-color jokes to forcible rape. Some of these people have been silent for years, but are finally emboldened to make these accusations. And all in all, I believe it's a good thing that these people are finally being taken seriously.

Having said that, I always feel uncomfortable when I'm reading about some past or current actor, composer, comedian, whatever, whose work I've enjoyed or admired, but whose personal life shows that he or she isn't or wasn't a very nice human being. Today's award-winning post by Colin D. Smith shares my mixed feelings concerning the accused and their accomplishments, and he no doubt discusses the problem better than I could have. Just click on the above link and read Colin's post.

Congratulations, Colin!

And thanks for your time.

12 comments:

  1. I clicked. I read. I offered my congratulations. It's an excellent post. Still waiting for my award from somebody for something.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Silver Fox! I will be sure to acknowledge this on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure a lot of that going around indeed. Congrats to Colin on the winning post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, look at that you created your own award and the honor goes to...drum-roll please..Colin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a long time ago I got tired of all of these "awards" that weren't really awards, because they required you to pass them on to multiple bloggers. So here's a real one!

      Delete
  5. This was an excellent choice for award bestowment, David. Thank you for sharing Colin's insightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopped here from Colin's blog.

    Glad I'm not the only one who thought those "awards" were a twist on ye old chain letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!

      It's true that those awards are given with the best of intentions, and they do sometimes lead others to visit some new blogs, but their format still kinda bothers me.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...