Friday, August 18, 2017

Get Your Archers Straight! (A "David'Z RantZ" Post)


Today's post is admittedly a little strange, and my next post is even stranger! I'll probably be away from any computers all weekend -- I'm attending a comic convention Saturday, for the first time in at least twenty years -- but I'll answer any and all of your comments when I return, probably on Monday.

*  *  *  *  *

Ever hear a song called "Pulling Mussels (from the Shell)?" It was originally performed by the group called Squeeze and appeared on their 1980 album, "Argybargy."


Here 'tis:


Personally, I love the song, but one thing about it has always bothered me. Here are the lyrics of the chorus:

But behind the chalet
My holiday's complete
And I feel like William Tell
Maid Marian on her tiptoed feet
Pulling mussels from a shell
Pulling mussels from a shell


Now, I ask you, fellow babies, what the hell does Maid Marian have to do with William Tell?!? William Tell is a folk hero from Switzerland, while Maid Marian was the girlfriend of the British folk hero, Robin Hood!


Get your archers straight, people!

Thanks for your time.

12 comments:

  1. lol maybe they wanted to mix and match. Or it was some sort of fan fiction at play. Maybe Robin divorced her. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much.

    Hope you enjoy the convention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we're both thinking about it too much!

      If anything really noteworthy happens at the convention, I'll do a write-up on August 30th, for Comical Wednesday. Why not next Wednesday, the 23rd? I already have that day's CW post scheduled. You'll see!

      Delete
    2. haha - now, I am thinking about it, perhaps it was just a play on characters.

      Delete
    3. Ah, you're being kind, True! I think it was more of a goof! Ha.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are having a great time at this very moment!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Met a handful of comics pros I've admired for years -- one of them, for fifty-two years -- and I'll be posting about it on August 30th.

      Delete
  3. He felt like Tell and she pretended to be Marian. Rrrrrroleplay!

    No?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My commenters on this one are so much more charitable than I.

      Delete
  4. A small poetic license since Hood doesn't rhyme with Shell... but the meaning still holds in that the mussels are being pulled for the poor to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently, though, "pulling mussels from a shell" has a sexual connotation, too.

      Delete
  5. Any sexual connotation with the wives of the 1% may make you feel like Youknow Hood

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...