Wednesday, January 9, 2013

David'Z RantZ -- "Short Shorts"


(The above is a photo of Cameron Diaz wearing "short shorts." I used it because my friend Skip Simpson has a crush on her.)

Bet you were expecting a "Comical Wednesday" entry today about Canadian comics (sorta), huh? Sorry, that'll be next Wednesday (probably).

Today? A rather brief and relatively mild post containing some goofy observations, part of a sporadically-published series of "Short Shorts."

1. Whenever someone tells me they're "speechless," I want to ask them, "Then how were you able to say that?"

2. Is the first English word that Chinese people learn "enjoy?" Whenever I eat at a Chinese restaurant, if my server is Asian, he or she says that word -- and nothing else -- when serving me my meal. Years ago, I worked as a waiter, and I would occasionally use the word myself, of course, but the prevalence of that single word's usage has made me wonder why that's the only word they seem to use.


It's even on the take-out boxes from my favorite Chinese restaurant.

3. Why is it that whenever I buy a can of evaporated milk... it's not empty?

Thanks for your time. And... enjoy.

15 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your shorts.I too have pondered such questions, but never thought to write them down for others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am---as you know--never speechless, but sometimes someone prefaces a bit of gossip to me with "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but...." I often think, but never say, "Then DON'T!" :)

    Oh, and the waitress at my favorite Asian restaurant says two words to me. :) "Big family!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but...." remark reminds me of whenever I get a letter or email saying "I'll probably never send this..."

      As for your favorite Asian restaurant, I never said that was the only English word they used... haha

      Delete
  3. I'm literally speechless -- I like that one even better. Or I literally just died I was so embarrassed.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard either of those. Pretty funny. Grammar Nazis hate that stuff.

      Delete
  4. Not really on topic at all, but my only real complaint about this town is that with all these restaurants within walking distance, there is NOT ONE Chinese place. I don't know, it just seems so bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Megs, you're forgiven for going slightly off-topic. I live in a very small town that has four Chinese restaurants. As of today, anyway. There may be more soon...

      Delete
  5. ABout chineses David some of them talk so well english only I think is a nice word to say "enjoy your food"
    here when you arrive to a house and they are in lunch or dinner, the people say "buen provecho" o sea lo mismo que decir " enjoy".
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's nice. I didn't say there was anything wrong with saying "enjoy"... Ha.

      Delete
    2. ha! you only say :"why that's the only word they seem to use.

      ha!

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes, but in the sentence before that, I wrote "he or she says that word -- and nothing else -- when serving me my meal." So when I wrote ""why that's the only word they seem to use" in the very next sentence, I allowed "when serving me my meal" to be implied, rather than redundantly saying "why that's the only word they seem to use when serving me my meal" immediately after ""he or she says that word -- and nothing else -- when serving me my meal."

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting that picture of "Cammie." I still have dreams about her to this day!

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...