Monday, October 26, 2009

Roots: You Learn Something New Every Day (Almost)!

This post originally appeared on my now-deleted blog, You Learn Something New Every Day (Almost)!


1976 saw the publication of Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley. Biiiiiig hit, especially after being turned into two TV mini-series.

But I just learned that there was a lot of controversy over this allegedly-true story's veracity. Haley was even sued -- successfully -- for plagiarism over certain segments of it.

Huh! Nobody bothered to tell me any of that! Who'da thunk it?

Thanks for your time.

2 comments:

  1. i think it doesn't matter. the publication of the book and airing of the series represented a seismic shift in black america and america in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree completely! It's just the nature of this blog is to list the stuff I didn't know previously. ROOTS had a huge, positive impact!

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...