Sunday, September 6, 2009

Robert E. Lee: You Learn Something New Every Day (Almost)!


This post originally appeared on my now-deleted blog, You Learn Something New Every Day (Almost)!
Today I was reading a "biography" of General Robert E. Lee -- you've all heard of him, right? -- which was more like a little pamphlet, and discovered that Lee's father was a Revolutionary War general known as "Light Horse Harry" Lee. Somewhere along the way, I'm sure that I had indeed heard of "Light Horse Harry," but didn't know he was Robert E. Lee's dad. But the "something new" of note which I learned was that Harry Lee was the man who originally uttered the immortal phrase "first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen" about his friend George Washington.

Neat.

Thanks for your time.

5 comments:

  1. Makes me wonder how he got that name 'cause...well, horses aren't light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know about Light Horse Harry Lee either. Love his name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he was kinda "light in the saddle," IF ya know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that, but, heehee, I'm seeing it in a new "light"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He ain't heavy, he's my Light Horse Harry Lee?

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...