Sunday, May 3, 2009

It Was LAST Month? (second entry)

So, here I am, once again defying that "bloggers take weekends off" practice so many Blogger-bloggers follow...

In honor of National Poetry Month, which
... umm... was *ahem* last month, here's the second in a rapid-fire series of old poems and/or songs written when the Silver Fox's hair was still light brown.

The following song is one of my personal favorites, primarily because of the wordplay. I really wish you could hear the tune I gave it! It's a bouncy, upbeat, banjoey C&W kinda thing, something I wish I could have sold to someone like Jerry Reed.

* * * * *

Don't Let Me Love You on the Rebound (10/19/1978)

When people start to treat me hard, I just grow harder,
And their cold shoulders just make me more cold.
I need companionship before my troubled life ends.
Oh, Lord, I guess I'm really gettin' old.
I'm also gettin' kinda sick o'losin' lovers.
So many women put me on the shelf,
And told me they were kinda sick o'lovin' losers.
So here I'm feelin' sorry for myself.

CHORUS
Don't let me love you on the rebound,
For it might up'n'fade away.
This lover's fog I'm in might vanish
Before the cleansin' light o'day.
Oh, yes, I'll love you on the rebound,
When it's too late for you, you'll finally see,
And you are much too sweet'n'sensitive a lady
To be sufferin' for love o'scum like me!

My life has been a downhill trip to darkest Hades,
An' lots o'people say it's just as well,
Cuz I ain't never gonna get to Heaven, darlin',
So here on Earth, I'll just prepare fer Hell.
My friends are special cuz they truly can accept me,
But you, m'dear, see somethin' thet I'm not.
You see good in one who's somewhat less than Satan,
But acts if he's somethin' more than God.

CHORUS
Don't let me love you on the rebound,
For it might up'n'fade away.
This lover's fog I'm in might vanish
Before the cleansin' light o'day.
Oh, yes, I'll love you on the rebound,
When it's too late for you, you'll finally see,
And you are much too sweet'n'sensitive a lady
To be sufferin' for love o'scum like me!

Yes, you are much too sweet'n'sensitive a lady
To be sufferin' for love o'scum like me!

* * * * *

Hey, it could be worse... I could be showing you some the things I wrote when I was going through a heavy "Jim Morrison phase" in the early 1980s. Very derivative of Morrison's type of poetry... and the worst shit I ever wrote. But it left me with a very important lesson: Don't copy anyone's style unless it's for the sake of parody.

See you tomorrow.

Thanks for your time.

7 comments:

  1. nice play. based on your life? went through a Morrison phase in college...intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can hear a little twang in that...it's not too late to jump on the country wagon! Maybe Toby Keith will want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most -- but nowhere near all -- of my stuff has some teeny-tiny autobiographical elements, and who of us hasn't "fallen" for someone just because he/she came immediately after someone who screwed us over?

    And... Kinky Friedman? Wow, does that name take me back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that sounds like some late '70's rock tune...Oh wait...it was. Never mind. lol I can honestly say I could have seen someone snatching that song up so not bad, my friend, not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David! I'm busting out the squeezebox and my ancient set of spoons! I'd have a blast with this at a good old kitchen party here...everybody would! Back in my own band days, when we would attempt originals,I used to write the lyrics to go with a favorite tune, then let the boys take over. Reminds me much of that, as you've perfectly pieced everything together...whoops...starting to sound like one of them aren't I! My bad...but no matter...this is money!
    You've been holding out on me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see your squeezebox sometime. Heh. (Sorry, that's a reference to The Who that I couldn't resist!)

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...